About Bulli Hospital
Bulli District Hospital was established in 1893 and is located 11 km
north of Wollongong. The Hospital provides a combination of inpatient,
outpatient and community health services. The hospital mainly provides
multidisciplinary geriatric services. The hospital is comprised of a 30 bed
Geriatric Ward (Syd Atkins), a 22 bed dementia specific ward (Roper) which
treats around 2,000 patients each year.
The Geriatric Outpatient Therapy Unit, operating from the Hospital’s Rose Cottage provides an outpatient program to help older people with chronic conditions better manage their health and avoid hospital admissions where possible. The program uses a multi-disciplinary team of clinicians to provide a comprehensive assessment of the participants' physical, cognitive and functional ability as well as support and advice to promote independent living away from a hospital setting.
Elective day only ear nose and throat (ENT) surgical services are provided at Bulli and there is an Emergency Primary Health Care Centre in operation between 7am – 10pm every day.
Services offered at Bulli District hospital include:
- Multidisciplinary Geriatric Outpatient services
- Community Nurses
- ENT surgery
- Aged care
- Urgent Primary Care Centre for minor illness and injury
- Occupational therapy
- Social work
- ENT clinic
Bulli Hospital has a dedicated group of volunteers and it has strong links with a wide range of community groups.
Bulli Cottage Hospital was officially opened on 20 May 1893 by Lady Darley, the wife of Lieutenant Governor, Sir Frederick Darley. The initial building consisted of a 5-bed male ward and 2-bed female ward.
The training of nurses at the Hospital commenced in 1901 and by 1908 an additional male ward and operating theatre were opened. It was 1916 when the hospital purchased a horse drawn ambulance and by 1922, ulli Cottage Hospital was renamed Bulli District Memorial Hospital.