Kiama Cottage Hospital was officially opened on 21 May 1887. In the
1920’s the Quarry industry near Kiama expanded rapidly causing a dramatic
increase in patients. Plans for a new hospital began when eight acres of
land in Bonaira St were purchased in 1924.
The first patients moved into the new hospital on the 17 May 1930. It had 33 adult beds, 3 children’s beds and a 5 bed isolation ward. Other additions to the hospital included a maternity ward in 1951. The first baby born at Kiama Hospital was football legend Michael Cronin.