Paediatric Services in the Illawarra Shoalhaven are part of the Women and Children’s Clinical Stream which provides care to women and their families during pregnancy, birth, early years of life and throughout childhood. The stream includes both hospital care and community services for families with improved continuity of care for women, babies and children in a shared goal of coordinated care.
There are two Paediatric units across the Illawarra and Shoalhaven at Wollongong Hospital and Shoalhaven District Memorial Hospital. Wollongong Hospital also has a Neonatal Unit.
- Wollongong Children’s Ward is 20-bed paediatric unit with 4 designated adolescent beds caring for children aged 0 to 16 years of age
- Shoalhaven District Memorial Hospital Children’s Ward is a 14-bed paediatric unit
- Parent accommodation is available at both units
- Paediatric outpatient services are provided at Wollongong, Shellharbour and Shoalhaven District Memorial Hospitals
- Day only services provided at Wollongong Hospital
- Paediatric Allied Health services, including physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, dietetics and social work are provided in the hospital for children requiring these services
- Paediatric dental services are also provided via appointment
- Wollongong Hospital’s Neonatal Unit is a nursery that provides specialist care to babies meeting the criteria that are 32 weeks or older
- It is a step down for neonates that have been transferred out of the area for intensive care