Community Specialist Palliative Care Services - Illawarra-Shoalhaven
The Specialist Community Palliative Care team assists with the treatment of particularly complex or distressing symptoms. This Specialist team includes highly trained and experienced doctors, nurses and allied health staff.
Referral to a Specialist Palliative Care doctor or nurse consultant must be made by your GP or treating specialist. They are skilled at identifying what is contributing to your current condition and can recommend treatments to manage symptoms.
The Specialist Community Palliative Care team:
- Provide prompt assessment of wide ranging physical symptoms, alongside emotional, spiritual and social concerns.
- Recommend targeted medications, which can be prescribed in advance so they are available when needed.
- Arrange loan equipment (e.g. shower chairs, electric beds) for use at home.
- Provide access to after-hours support and other support services to help families manage at home.
- Support families to identify the patient's goals and priorities for care.
- Support families with specific cultural needs and interpreters (if required)
- Provide ongoing bereavement support.
Care of terminally ill children is usually managed by specialist paediatric services at Sydney Children's Hospital or Westmead Children's Hospital, with local support from our specialist palliative teams.
Email new referrals to: ISLHD-AccessandReferralCentre@health.nsw.gov.au.
For URGENT referrals call 1300 792 755.