The Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District has implemented restrictions on visiting hospital patients to help to minimise the spread of COVID-19.
Do not visit patients in hospital if you have visited a locations associated with confirmed COVID-19 cases that have been classified by NSW Health for action. Visit the NSW Health website for the Latest COVID-19 case locations and alerts in NSW.
Do not visit patients in hospital if you are unwell or have been tested for COVID and are awaiting results.
- Visitor screening at the entrance of hospitals will continue:
- Temperature check
- Symptom check - you will be asked whether you have any of these symptoms: fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, body aches, sore or scratchy throat, headache, runny nose, muscle pain, vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea, or loss of smell or taste.
- COVID-19 exposure assessment - including whether you have visited any of the locations associated with confirmed COVID-19 cases.
- All visitors to ISLHD facilities must provide their contact details as part of the screening process. Visitors will also be asked to record the name of the patient they are visiting and the location within the hospital, if known. A QR code is available for contactless, self-registration using a smart phone. Pen and paper check in sheets are available for visitors who don’t have a smartphone. See more info here.
- Masks are only required for those with acute respiratory symptoms, and are recommended for those entering the Emergency Department.
- Visiting hours are between 11:00am to 2:00pm and 5:00pm to 8:00pm.
- Two adult visitors are allowed in each visiting session for each patient.
- Different people are now able to visit in each visiting session each day.
- Three visitors at a time are permitted if an adult is accompanying a child during business hours.
One visitor is permitted to accompany a patient, if their presence is necessary.
Children under the age of 12 are not permitted to accompany a patient in the Emergency Department. The Nurse-in-Charge may modify this in exceptional circumstances.
Where a patient is receiving end of life care, visitors are limited to the extent necessary to minimise risk.
During labour and birth, mothers are able to be supported by up to two people with no time restriction.
- The partner/support person is able to visit for unrestricted periods between 8:00am and 8:00pm
- Up to two adult visitors at any one time (including the partner/support person and two children) are able to be present during general hospital visiting hours from 11:00 am – 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm.
- Neonatal Unit allows both parents/carers with no restrictions on length of visit.
Both parents/carers at any one time, with no restrictions on length of visit.
Visitors and consumer leave suspended
Due the vulnerability of mental health consumers, the Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District has suspended all consumer leave and visitors at our mental health units until further notice.
If you have any questions please contact the appropriate mental health unit.
Visitors with physical and/or cognitive impairment will be considered on a case basis via the nursing team.