In addition to ethical and scientific review, all human research that takes place in NSW public health organisations, or that requires support from a NSW public health organisation in the form of access to participants, tissue or data, must be reviewed and authorised by the organisation’s Chief Executive, or their delegate before commencement. The projects must not commence until the applicant has received written notification of documented authorisation.
Site authorisation enables NSW public health organisations to:
- ensure that the proposed research project complies with appropriate ethical, scientific, regulatory and professional standards
- consider whether the project should be conducted at and supported by the organisation, and/or whether the provision of access to participants, their tissue and/or data should be supported
- be aware of all research taking place at sites under their control.
There are two pathways to site authorisation in NSW, depending on the research activities:
1. Site Specific Assessment
2. Access Request review.
What is our role?
- Advises and liaises with investigators, sponsors, and other stakeholders regarding the preparation of applications for site authorisation and ethics processes.
- Fosters effective communication with universities and research institutes, particularly in the promotion and management of collaborative research programmes and grants management.
The Research Governance team manages:
- Site-Specific research governance review and authorisation in accordance with NSW Health Policies and Guidelines, including associated contracts and supporting documentation.
- Intellectual Property arising from health and medical research that involves staff or resources of ISLHD.
- Honorary Research Associates appointments and ISLHD-IHMRI researcher affiliations.
- Requests from third parties for access to patient data and transfer of human tissue.
- Approve the submission of Grant Applications that involve ISLHD employees or resources.
Level 8 – Block C West, Wollongong Hospital
Prof Leonard Arnolda,
Clinical Director, Health & Medical Research
Telephone: 4253 4801
Research Governance Officer
Telephone: 4253 4876
Administration Support Officer
Telephone: 4253 4800