When an illness cannot be cured, Palliative Care is available to help manage distressing or complex symptoms and provide support.
The Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District's (ISLHD's) Palliative Care Service works with care teams, like GPs and other specialists, to provide comfort and quality of life, while you or your loved one gets on with living.
Our Palliative Care staff assess patient and carer needs, and consider personal wishes and goals for care.
Palliative Care teams include doctors, nurses, allied health staff, social workers and volunteers.
- regular assessments and treatments to target symptoms such as pain, nausea, breathlessness and anxiety
- support for physical, emotional, spiritual and social needs
- access to specialist support in any ISLHD hospital, residential aged care facility or at home
- access to loan equipment to care safely at home
- access to after-hours support
- ongoing professional and volunteer support to family members and carers.
All services are free of charge.