When an illness cannot be cured, Palliative Care is available to help manage distressing or complex symptoms and provide support.
The Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District's (ISLHD's) Palliative Care Service works with care teams, like GPs and other specialists, to provide comfort and quality of life, while you or your loved one gets on with living.
Our Palliative Care staff assess patient and carer needs, and consider personal wishes and goals for care.
Palliative Care teams include doctors, nurses, allied health staff, social workers and volunteers.
- regular assessments and treatments to target symptoms such as pain, nausea, breathlessness and anxiety
- support for physical, emotional, cultural, spiritual and social needs
- access to specialist support in any ISLHD hospital, residential aged care facility or at home
- access to loan equipment to care safely at home
- access to after-hours support
- ongoing professional and volunteer support to family members and carers.
All services are free of charge.
Enquiries: 1300 068 458
Urgent referrals: 1300 792 755
Illawarra-Shoalhaven Specialist Inpatient Palliative Care Service
The Illawarra Palliative Care Service operates primarily from Port Kembla Hospital, where you will find our 15-bed Palliative Care Unit, our Specialist Community Palliative Care team, Outpatient Clinic, the Equipment Loan Pool and Volunteer Service. Our Palliative Care Consult Service provides services into other hospitals and is located at Wollongong Hospital. We also work closely with primary health nurses from Community Health.
Patients must be referred by a doctor and ‘linked’ to the Palliative Care Service prior to receiving specialist palliative care support services.
|C6 West Ward Inpatient Service - Illawarra||