Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health Specialist Services - Shoalhaven Hospital
Mental Health Service: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Information
The Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District (ISLHD) aims to identify the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and provide care that will have a positive impact on their social and emotional wellbeing. The ISLHD mental health service have specific staff who work within Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific and identified roles; thus providing an integrated and culturally safe environment for Aboriginal consumers, and their families and carers.
Aboriginal Mental health staff:
- Anthony Pollard, who is based at the Sub-acute Mental Health Unit, Shoalhaven Hospital, Nowra
- Suzanne Trueman, who is based at Illawarra Community Mental Health
- Troy Crowther, who is on the Acute Care Team based at Illawarra Community Mental Health
- John Bolt, who is based at Nowra Community Mental Health
- Sophie Rogers, Aboriginal Mental Health Trainee. The traineeship includes rotation of work placements across various mental health services within the Illawarra and Shoalhaven.
The Aboriginal Action Plan: Closing the Gap 2017-2020 identifies the requirement to understand the needs of Aboriginal Communities; which includes providing a holistic, flexible and integrated service delivery to respond to the cultural context of Aboriginal social, cultural and emotional wellbeing. The Aboriginal Mental Health Workforce can make connections within Aboriginal families and communities.
via 2 Shoalhaven Street
NOWRA NSW 2541
Mondays to Fridays (excluding public holidays): 8:00am to 4:30pm