Diagnostic Medical Imaging is a specialist service that involves undertaking a range of imaging procedures to obtain images of the inside of the body. The diagnostic radiologist then carefully interprets these images to diagnose illness and injury.
Diagnostic radiology is at the core of clinical decision-making in modern medicine.
Diagnostic imaging tests can include:
- X-rays (plain radiography)
- CT (computed tomography) scans
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scans
- Ultrasound examinations (also known as sonography)
- Nuclear medicine imaging techniques.
Diagnostic radiologists know when an imaging test can help answer a question about a symptom, disease, injury or treatment and which tests will get the best result for each patient.