Milton Ulladulla Hospital is a rural acute facility that provides emergency, inpatient and outpatient services for the southern Shoalhaven. As with all District services, Milton-Ulladulla Hospital is networked with the other hospitals and services in the region.
Local women have access to a 7-day antenatal and postnatal midwifery service at Milton Ulladulla Hospital. An obstetrician visits Milton each Wednesday for antenatal clinic appointments to assist in providing care to pregnant women; who birth at Shoalhaven Hospital. The Steering Group and Model of Care Group continue working together to ensure that safe and sustainable antenatal services are in place for the Milton Ulladulla population. In April 2019, the District outlined its plan to deliver an enhanced maternity service in the Shoalhaven region.
Milton Ulladulla Hospital is fully accredited by the Australian Council on Healthcare Standards (ACHS).
History of Milton Ulladulla Hospital
The first hospital in the Milton Ulladulla area was established in 1908 by Harold Riley, it was a basic facility which employed nurses to care for patients. In 1936 it was transferred to government control, and in 1938 was renamed to the current Milton Ulladulla Hospital. By 1967, it had outgrown the original cottage and was relocated to the current buildings with the then Governor of New South Wales Sir Roden Cutler officially opening the new facility.
A Cancer Services Centre was established in 2003 to provide an outpatient oncology clinic for the community. Despite a major setback caused by fire destroying the original clinic building in March 2005, the new Centre, built with community funds was transferred to the Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District and opened its doors in 2008.