David Berry Hospital provides rehabilitation and specialist palliative care for the Shoalhaven.
In his will of 1889, local agriculturalist and landowner David Berry directed his trustees to set aside the sum of £100,000, ‘for the purpose of erecting a hospital for diseases for the benefit particularly of inhabitants of Broughton Creek and the District of Shoalhaven.’
A temporary hospital was established in a cottage on the banks of Broughton Creek. In 1909 the David Berry Hospital was opened as a state health institution.
The Hospital was regarded as being different from other country hospitals as it was entirely under Government control.
This hospital is fully accredited by the Australian Council on Healthcare Standards (ACHS).
Berry NSW 2535