Substance Use In Pregnancy And Parenting Service (SUPPS)
If you are pregnant and using illicit drugs, drinking alcohol or on an opioid treatment program it is important to seek pregnancy care and support as soon as possible.
The best outcomes for babies are achieved by regular care and stability. While abstinence can be difficult, there are many options available such as detoxification, links to rehabilitation facilities, counselling, specialised midwifery and obstetric care. Non-judgemental, supportive and specialised care is available with our Substance Use in Pregnancy and Parenting Service (SUPPS).
Alcohol, tobacco and other drug use during pregnancy is risky and may cause harm to the foetus.
Intervention is required for pregnant women at increased risk:
- Drinking more than 1-2 drinks per week
- Binge drinking
- Dependent on alcohol
- Other drug use
We work with Health, Family and Community Services and a range of other services to improve outcomes for women and their children, whose pregnancy is complicated by drug or alcohol use.
- Provide information on tobacco, drug or alcohol use in pregnancy
- Work with you to make changes in your drug or alcohol use
- Discuss treatment choices with you
- Connect you with other services during your pregnancy and after you have had your baby - such as Maternal Services, Child & Family Nurses, Family Support, Playgroups, Quit Smoking
- Support partners, parents and family
- Substance use in Pregnancy and Parenting Service
- Quick Guide: Identifying women at risk from alcohol, smoking or other drug use during pregnancy
- Supporting pregnant women who use alcohol or other drugs - A Guide for Primary Health Care Professionals
- Alcohol use in Pregnancy
- Antenatal Quit Smoking Service
- Cannabis use in Pregnancy
- Neo Natal Abstinence Syndrome
- Opioid use in Pregnancy
- Stimulant use in Pregnancy
- Tobacco use in Pregnancy
- NSW Health – Tobacco Smoking and Pregnancy
How to access
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our service on 1300 652 226.
The Health Care Interpreter Service provides a free and confidential interpreting service 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For bookings please call 4223 8540.
If you need an interpreter let your service provider know immediately and they can book one for you in your preferred language.
Want us to call you? SMS your name to 0497 652 227 (This is an SMS line only). We will call you during business hours. Calls from us appear as a private number.
The Orana Centre
2 Rawson St
47 Berry Street
Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5 pm
Helpful telephone numbers
ISLHD Antenatal Clinic Shoalhaven Hospital - 4421 3111
ISLHD Antenatal Clinic Wollongong - 4253 4256
ISLHD Substance Use in Pregnancy and Parenting Service - 1300 652 226