What is Type 1 Diabetes?
Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease where the pancreas cannot produce insulin because the body’s immune system destroys the insulin-making cells (beta cells) in the pancreas. This stops the pancreas from making insulin, which the body needs to use glucose for energy. The exact cause of type 1 diabetes is not yet known, but we do know that it is not caused by poor diet or lack of activity. At this stage, nothing can prevent or cure type 1 diabetes, but scientists are working towards finding a cure. In the meantime you can live an enjoyable life by replacing the insulin and learning as much as possible about how to manage type 1 diabetes.
What we offer:
We offer combined diabetes educator and dietitian appointments and also individual appointments with these clinicians as well. Our service can also link you with one of our Diabetes Doctors.
- We can help with managing insulin injections.
- We can help trouble shoot daily life with type 1 diabetes.
- We can help with insulin pump starts and management.
- We can help with Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) technology.
- We can provide specialist diabetes nutrition advice.
Please call 1300 308 969 to arrange an appointment.