When to contact the Public Health Unit
Please contact the Public Health Unit if 2 or more Residents test positive for COVID-19 or Influenza or are unwell with Acute Respiratory Illness in 72 hours (as per flow chart below).
You can also contact the Public Health Unit for exposure advice in the event that staff or visitors test positive for COVID-19 or Influenza who have been at the facility during their infectious period.
Source: Guidance for Residential Aged Care Facilities on the public health management of Acute Respiratory Infections (including COVID-19 and Influenza)
Resources and Guidelines
COVID-19: Advice for aged care services - COVID-19 (Coronavirus) (nsw.gov.au) Information and resources for aged care services including residential aged care facilities, Commonwealth Home Support Programme, assessment services, home care package providers, multi-purpose services, respite care and transition care.
Australian Government, Department of Health
- Communicable Disease Network Australia (CDNA) National Guidelines for Influenza Outbreaks in RCFs
- Communicable Diseases Network Australia (CDNA) National Guidelines for COVID-19 Outbreaks in RCFs
- First 24 hours – managing COVID-19 in a residential aged care facility describes the steps you should take in the first 24 hours following identification of a COVID-19 case.
Request for Commonwealth Supports
To request any of the following Commonwealth Supports please email AgedCareCOVIDEnquiries@health.gov.au:
- Rapid Antigen Test (RAT)
- PCR testing (not available in exposure sites)
- Antivirals (If you are in outbreak and are unable to access antivirals quickly)
- Surge workforce (not available in exposure sites)
COORDINARE’s home commissioned visits is a program to facilitate face-to-face service provision by GPs and practice nurses to patients who are managing COVID-19 at home, including in residential care facilities, when their regular GP does not have the capacity to manage them during their isolation period.
The General practices offering alternate care for COVID-19 positive patients service can be accessed through referral from the resident’s regular GP or RACF (with permission from the regular GP), and includes:
- Review of COVID-19 positive residents in relation to prescription of anti-viral agents, where appropriate
- Review and management of chronic conditions, wound care, a fall etc. if required while COVID-19 positive
- Review and management of exacerbation of COVID-19 symptoms
To refer go to: Illawarra Shoalhaven Community HealthPathways select:
- COVID-19 Requests and Supports;
- COVID-19 Requests;
- General practices offering alternate care for COVID-19 positive patients
The NSW COVID-19 at home support line also provides symptom support and advice for COVID-19 positive people and can be contacted on 1800 960 933.