About the NSW School Vaccination Program
NSW Health works in partnership with schools to offer the vaccines recommended and funded for adolescents by the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) in a school-based vaccination program, including:
- diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis (dTpa)
- human papillomavirus (HPV)
- meningococcal ACWY.
School Vaccination Video
2024 school vaccination Flyer
Consent for school vaccination
Consent for each vaccine must be provided by parents/guardians for students to receive free vaccinations at school.
From 2023 parents/guardians can provide consent online for their child’s routine school vaccinations on the online consent portal. Select login with Service NSW Account.
To provide online consent you will need:
- your Service NSW log-in details
- Medicare card details for you and your child.
If you or your child do not have a Medicare card, consent can still be provided by requesting a paper-based consent form – available on request from schools.
Parents can withdraw consent at any time before vaccination takes place:
- where consent has been given online, please log-in to the secure NSW Health portal and follow the prompts to withdraw consent, or
- where consent has been given on the physical consent form, please write to or call the school to advise the student's name, school grade and those vaccines the withdrawn consent applies to.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What if my child missed out on the vaccine at School?
Every effort will be made to vaccinate your child at subsequent school clinics during the Year 7 and Year 10 (also into Year 8 and 11 respectively). Where this is not possible, you will be advised of arrangements for catch up vaccination with the GP. If you decide that you no longer want your child vaccinated at school, consent from the school program needs to be withdrawn by logging back into the online portal, notifying the school or by contacting the Public Health Unit on Ph: 4221 6700.
How can I find my child's immunisation history statement?
All vaccines administered in Australia should be available for viewing on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR).
Accessing these records can be found by following the links below:
- By creating a myGov account
- Download the Medicare Express Plus app How to download and setup the app
- If you do not have access to internet you can also contact the Australian Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809 or go to your local Medicare office
If you have any questions regarding the Immunisation history statement please contact the Public Health Unit on Ph: 4221 6700
I can’t see my child’s school vaccinations on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR)?
Most school records given at school are available on AIR. If you believe a school vaccination has been administered and is not visible on the AIR, please contact the Public Health Unit. If your child is 14years of age, as a parent you will no longer have access to view their records. You child will be able to view their own records via the myGov app or Medicare Express Plus app. If you are still experiencing difficulty finding these records, please contact the Public Health Unit on Ph: 4221 6700.