Patients are seen by different specialists in different clinics dependent on the type of cancer their General Practitioner (GP) suspects. Most types of cancers can be treated here in the Illawarra Shoalhaven, however there may be a need for a referral to Sydney for certain elements of your care.
A referral from your referring specialist or general practitioner is required to so that eligible treatment costs are covered by Medicare.
The type of cancer suspected will determine who you will be referred to.
Specialist referral is valid for 3 months from your first visit, GP referral can be either 12 months or indefinite (as specified by the GP).
This can vary across departments, and will vary according to the problem and urgency
This can vary across departments, and will vary according to the problem and urgency.
If cancer is suspected, a referral is required. The Canrefer directory assists general practitioners and other health professionals to find cancer services by cancer type and location within NSW.
Referrals should be faxed to the relevant site:
- Illawarra Cancer Care Centre F: 02 4226 5397
- Shoalhaven Cancer Care Centre F: 02 4428 7411
- Milton-Ulladulla Community Cancer Services Centre F: 02 4454 9166
- Oncology & Haematology Ward, Wollongong Hospital (C7) F: 02 4353 4704
- Haematology, Wollongong Hospital F: 02 4253 4771
- Nursing and Allied Services
- Breast Care Nurse - Illawarra Cancer Care Centre F: 02 4222 5039
- Breast Care Nurse - Shoalhaven Cancer Care Centre F: 02 4428 7530
- Hereditory Cancer Clinic F: 02 4222 5040
- ISLHD Cancer Clinical Trials Unit F: 02 4222 5085
- Prostate Clinical Nurse Consultant F: 02 4222 5085