We support pregnant women and household members who want to quit smoking and vaping. Midwives and other health professionals provide quit smoking and vaping advice, information and support during pre and post-natal care.
If you are pregnant and would like to quit smoking or vaping:
The quit smoking and vaping in pregnancy service provides the following:
- Telephone assessment and advice about quitting during pregnancy
- Mail out factsheets and info about quitting smoking and vaping during pregnancy and info about the correct use of nicotine quit products
- Free sample of nicotine quit products. This can include a sample of free nicotine products (such as patches and gum) and other quit smoking aids
- Text messaging tips, hints and support
- Referral to the Quitline
- Follow-up telephone support.
For more information email ISLHD-HealthPromotion@health.nsw.gov.au
If you are pregnant, your midwife will speak with you about smoking and vaping. They will discuss the harms of smoking and vaping and offer help such as:
- Referral to Quitline
- Test the amount of carbon monoxide in your bloodstream
- Medication that can help with your nicotine dependence. This is called Nicotine Replacement Therapy.
Your midwife may also suggest the text messaging in pregnancy service. This service gives you tips to:
- Deal with cravings
- Change habits
- Benefits for your baby
- Stay calm
You can ask questions via text or ask for support over the phone.
ISLHD midwifes can refer clients to the service by:
Emailing the consenting client's full name, mobile number and word 'BABY' to ISLHD-HealthPromotion@health.nsw.gov.au.
Smoking in pregnancy animations
These videos have been developed in partnership with NSW Health. They will be shown to women during antenatal visits with their midwife and played in hospital and community health centre waiting room.
This short video dispels some of the myths about smoking and quitting while pregnant.
This animation provdes options to pregnant women to help make quitting less stressful and discusses products available to reduce cravings.