We support pregnant women and household members who want to quit smoking and vaping. Midwives and other health professionals provide quit smoking and vaping advice, information and support during pre and post-natal care.
Quit Smoking and Vaping in Pregnancy Service
The quit smoking and vaping in pregnancy service provides the following:
- Telephone assessment and advice about quitting during pregnancy
- Mail out factsheets and info about quitting smoking and vaping during pregnancy and info about the correct use of nicotine quit products
- Free sample of nicotine quit products. This can include a sample of free nicotine products (such as patches and gum) and other quit smoking aids
- Text messaging tips, hints and support
- Referral to the Quitline
- Follow-up telephone support.
For more information email ISLHD-HealthPromotion@health.nsw.gov.au
Quit Smoking and Vaping During Pregnancy Text Messaging Service
Get text message with tips to quit smoking or vaping on:
- Dealing with cravings
- Changing habits
- Benefits for your baby
- Staying calm
You can ask questions via text or ask for support over the phone.
To sign up, text your full name and the word 'BABY' to 0436 380 473 or email your full name, mobile number and word 'BABY' to ISLHD-HealthPromotion@health.nsw.gov.au
You can opt out at any time by texting 'STOP'.
To refer to the Quitline, fax a referral form to (02) 9698 2740:
This short video dispels some of the myths about smoking and quitting while pregnant.
This animation provides options to pregnant women to help make quitting less stressful and discusses products available to reduce cravings.
Both videos have been developed in partnership with NSW Health. They will be shown to women during antenatal visits with their midwife and played in hospital and community health centre waiting rooms.
If you are pregnant and would like to quit smoking or vaping, speak to your midwife, download the 'Quit for You - Quit for Two' App or call the Quitline on 13 78 48.